Modified Bitumen Roof Specialists
Modified Bitumen roof systems are asphalt based and provide superior waterproofing characteristics. The typical life span for these systems is about 10 to 20 years. Modified Bitumen roofs are usually installed as a two ply system and are always fully adhered.
These roof systems are made up of asphalt that has been modified with a polymer to create plastic or rubber like properties. The modifiers provide increased resistance to brittleness, cold temperatures and increased elasticity and strength.
The APP modified asphalt is reinforced with a polyester mat and manufactured into a roll product. Membranes with additional asphalt on the back side allows it to bond to the substrate by applications like heat welding or torch applied methods.
- Torch Applied – An open flame torch is used to melt the bottom side of the sheet as the APP modified membrane is applied.
- Heat Welding – The welder is used to blow out hot air which fuses the back side of the membrane to the substrate during application. This method is a safer alternative than torch applied, as it is less of a fire hazard.
- Hot Asphalt application – Hot Asphalt is applied to the felts or substrate with the use of a machine or is physically mopped down and then the membrane is laid over the hot asphalt. The hot asphalt acts as the adhesive and allows the membrane to bond to the substrate.
- Cold Adhesive – A specially formulated asphalt based adhesives is used to apply the modified membrane in a cold process.
- Self Adhered – The bottom surface of the membrane is covered with an adhesive and release paper. Once the paper is removed the adhesive allows the membrane to adhere to the substrate without the use of additional adhesives.
Modified Bitumen Roof Systems
APP and SBS modified roofs have numerous surfacing options including factory applied mineral surfaces, gravel surfaces, smooth surfaces, and “cool roof” coatings, which are highly reflective coatings that can help save cooling costs.
Modified Bitumen (MB) roofing, an asphalt-based, is similar to Built-up-Roof(BUR) which is designed for buildings with low-slope or “flat” roof structures. Engineered modified bitumen roofing membranes have been used successfully in the United States and Canada since approximately 1975.
The Look & Protection You Want
We deliver peace of mind to building owners and facility managers by managing roofing and building life cycles for customers in all industries. With a choice of cold- or hot-application and a range of performance levels, all of which provide exceptional waterproofing protection for your building